Closed on Friday, November 24th.

Pet Travel Exams

Pet Travel Exams

If you’re planning to travel, either internationally or across state lines, and you are taking your pet with you, it’s important to know what’s required for your animal companion to make the trip. It’s also a good idea to make sure your pet is physically healthy enough for travel with a wellness exam.

Dr. Luckow is a USDA-accredited veterinarian, which means he can perform all the necessary pre-travel exams and certify the required documents. Plus, our staff is well versed in the preparation of the forms needed for travel.

International travel for pets requires international health certificates—and some countries also request proof of additional vaccinations and testing. You will find the certificate and other information about what’s required for your pet to travel at the Animal Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) page from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). While the certificate must be prepared by a USDA-accredited veterinarian, the requirements for entry are established by each individual country.

Once we complete the health certificate, it will need to be submitted for endorsement by mail or in person at your local USDA-APHIS Veterinary Services Export Service Office. There is an endorsement fee based on destination requirements.

The USDA suggests a minimum 10-day time frame for completing health certificates; however, many airlines require that health certificates be completed no more than 10 days prior to travel. You’ll need to contact your airline to find out their policy about documentation, as well as what kind of pets are allowed to fly and when.

If you’re traveling with your pet from state to state, there may also be some health and documentation requirements. Your first step should be checking the USDA-APHIS page for interstate travel.

Have questions or want to schedule a travel exam for your pet? Call us at (718) 543-5600.